Welcome to the San Marcos High School Library!
Teens' Top Ten Winners Announced
Here's the list:
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (Ms. Bryan highly recommends!!)
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus (Ms. Bryan highly recommends! Great mystery with a twist you won't see coming.)
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds (Ms. Bryan highly recommends! Super compelling urban fiction novel in verse you can read in one night.)
- I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez (Ms. Bryan highly recommends! Realistic fiction at its best.)
- Paper Hearts by Ali Novak
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Once and For All by Sarah Dessen
Makerspace Update: Giant Wall Scrabble! 3D Printing!
Come and play!
October is Here...
...and we have some awesome fall bookmarks for you! Come by and pick one up and let us help you find a great fall read.
Banned Books Week, September 23-29, 2018
Banned Books Week is an annual event that celebrates the freedom to read and highlights the value of free and open access to information. In the last year, books like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Hate U Give, Thirteen Reasons Why, The Kite Runner, and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian have all been challenged or banned in schools and libraries across the country. This year our library is honoring Banned Books Week by encouraging students to write a postcard to the author of a banned or challenged book that has made a difference in their life. We provide the postcards, the author addresses, and the stamps!
English Classes Visit the Library for Independent Reading Books
Over 30 English classes visited the library in the first two weeks of school for SSR kick offs. Several AVID classes also came in, as did four Spanish for native speakers classes who are also doing independent reading (in Spanish) as part of their classes. We checked out 1,325 books during this time! We also looked at tools to help us find books we really love, and acknowledged that sometimes that takes a little bit of work. We used our new iPads to explore NoveList Plus and perused the resources under the books tab of the library website. What a great start to the new year!
Join Us in the Library in 2018-19!
This is going to be a great year! We've got our makerspace coming together in the back room (formerly the reference room), a cleaned up book collection featuring more of the titles you want to read, and even more academic databases to help you be successful with all your research tasks. Please come in often to see what's new. We love helping you find the perfect book, providing you with the tools and assistance you need to be successful in your classes, and just being your go-to place for getting questions answered. Please join us! All are welcome here.